Christmas is coming – lesson plan
Christmas is coming, czyli pora na świąteczną naukę i zabawę. W tym poście odnajdziecie scenariusz zajęć języka angielskiego o Świętach. Jest film, jest krzyżówka, jest śpiew, jest ćwiczenie online …jest nauka i zabawa. Enjoy 🙂
You can find all the printable materials below:
Topic: Christmas is coming
– learn new words related to Christmas and revise the ones they already know
– learn new phrases: call off, take care of, come true, all at once, gather
– improve their abilities to work in groups
– have fun and feel motivated
– access to the internet and the following websites:
– worksheets (one copy for each student)
– crosswords (one copy for each student)
– interactive board
Ask students to say as many words related to Christmas as they can within one minute.
Ask students to watch the first two parts of The Christmas Story and complete the text using the words in the box. There are two extra words that students do not need.
|sins star King wedding birth fields news Spirit crib sheep|
The Christmas Story
The Birth of Jesus
Mary was engaged to Joseph from …………… David’s family. Before they got married she learnt that she was going to have a baby by God’s Holy …………….. . Joseph wanted to quietly call off the …………….. . While he was thinking about this, an Angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph, the baby Mary will have, is from the Holy Spirit. Go ahead and marry her. Then, after the baby is born, name him Jesus, because he will save his people from the …………….’ . That is how the Lord’s promise came true. Joseph married Mary and took care of her.
That special night in …………… near Bethlehem some shepherds were gathering their ……………. . All at once an Angel came down to them from the Lord. The shepherds were frightened but the Angel said, “Don’t be afraid. I have good …………… for you which will make everyone happy.” The shepherds listened to his story about the …………… of the Saviour. After the angels were gone, the shepherds decided to go to Bethlehem to visit little Jesus.
Ask students to study the phrases in bold and try to guess their meaning from the context and then match the phrases with the short definitions. There is one extra definition that the students do not need.
1. call off something a) to collect/ to bring together as a group
2. come true b) to become somebody’s wife or husband
3. take care of somebody c) to cancel something, e.g. a meeting
4. all at once d) to happen as predicted/ to become a reality
5. gather e) to be responsible for someone
1. ….. 2. ….. 3. ….. 4. ….. 5. …..
As a filler let your students watch the other parts of The Christmas Story.
Ask students to complete the Christmas crossword on their worksheets. This activity can be done as a competition. Have students work in small groups and complete the crossword as fast as they can.
An option would be to ask the students to complete the crossword individually on their worksheets. After completion of their individual assignment, ask the students to individually go to the board and complete the interactive crossword:
Finally, they can sing one of the most popular Christmas songs, e.g.