Honey bees are in danger. How can we help them? – Lesson Plan
Dzisiaj zamieszczam trzeci, i jak na razie ostatni, scenariusz z serii … o pszczołach po angielsku. Było już o budowie i środowisku życia pszczół, a następnie o ich niesamowitej roli w przyrodzie i życiu człowieka. Nadeszła pora, aby uświadomić naszym uczniom jak wielkie istnieje zagrożenie dla światowej populacji pszczół oraz co możemy zrobić, aby pomóc im przetrwać. W końcu bez nich, nas też nie będzie. A wszystko tu po angielsku i z dużą dawką wykorzystania narzędzi TIK.
Tym razem proponuję też nowość w moich scenariuszach – wykorzystanie kreatywności naszych uczniów do tworzenia interaktywnych książeczek. Zapraszam 🙂
Topic: Honey bees are in danger. How can we help them?
– to expand students’ vocabulary for describing some consequences of honey bees extinction
– to develop students’ ability to listen for specific information
– to develop students’ ability to work effectively in groups
– to teach students to create their own online story book
Warm up (5 min.)
Ask your students to close their eyes for a moment and imagine there are no bees in the world any longer. Encourage them to say what has changed.
Ex. 1. Honey bees are in danger . Why? (15 min.)
Set up task 1 by putting students in small groups. There should be one tablet or smartphone for each group. Once they have opened the website: http://angielskipodrodze.pl, instruct your students how to go to the online exercise. Tell them their task is to read the statements first and then watch the movie “The Death of Bees Explained” in order to complete the sentences. Play the movie:
“The Death Of Bees Explained – Parasites, Poison and Humans”
You may make this task a competition and reward the group with the best result.
Finally, do this activity on the board with the whole class and discuss the statements.
1. If honey bees …… out, millions of people will starve.
2. Honey bees have a huge economic …… .
3. Food we take for granted would stop …… without honey bees.
4. Millions of …… have died in the last few years.
5. Beekeepers all over the world have seen an …… loss of 30 – 90% of their colonies.
6. Since 2006 a phenomenon called Colony Collapse …… has affected honey bees in many countries.
7. Over the last few decades bees have seen an invasion of very dangerous …… .
8. One of the foes are parasites which lay their eggs inside the bee body and feed from the fluids. They make the bees very …… .
9. Among other …… are viruses and fungi.
10. Neonicotinoids are most widely used …… in the world.
11. Neonicotinoids attack insects by harming their nervous systems. Neonicotinoids harm bees in a variety of horrible ways, for example convulsions, …… and death.
12. Neonicotinoids can affect bees …… system so they are not able to go back to their hive. The honey bees are now fighting for survival.
1. die 2.impact 3.existing 4.hives 5. annual 6. Disorder 7. foes 8. weak 9. threats 10. insecticides 11. paralysis 12. navigation
Ex. 2. How can we help and support bees? (12 min.)
Let your students work in the same groups. This time they are supposed to watch two videos and do a matching activity. Instruct them how to go to the activity and play the films:
“Eco How: How to make a bee home”
“Planting: Flowers for Honey Bees”
1. reduce a) flowers
2. eliminate b) beekeepers
3. build homes for wild c) pesticides
4. grow bee friendly d) honey
5. support local e) neonicotinoids
6. buy and eat f) bees
1. c 2. e 3. f 4. a 5. b 6. d
After they have finished they will be able to see a very short video about how to draw a cartoon bee.
Ex. 3 Let’s help and support bees (8 min.)
Tell your learners that they will make their own online story book, in which they will present their ideas for helping bees survive. Present an example of such a book which is available at:
Invite your students to create their own book entitled ‘Let’s help and support bees’. Show them how this site ( www.storyjumper.com) works and instruct them how to start, if necessary. A good idea is to create a virtual class on this website and invite your students to join in and do the task. There is not enough time to finish this task during this lesson so ask your learners to do it at home.
Pozostałe dwa scenariusze lekcji o pszczołach znajdziecie w zakładce Scenariusze zajęć- Lekcje CLIL: